Stacked Coin ‘Treasure’ Quilt

This post is well overdue. I wrote up great big post about this aaages ago and before I got a chance to post it for some reason the internet farted or something and the post vanished.
On with the post…

A friend was having her first baby (the baby has been had and is 4 and a half months old – see what I mean by this post being overdue) and the lovely Sarah of Stitching Lyrical suggested we collaborate on a quilt for the impending arrival.

I agreed and immediately went on the hunt for a project that would be simple to collaborate on, yet effective. I stumbled upon this tutorial for a Stacked Coins Baby Quilt. This was ideal because Sarah and I could sew a few stacks each and then we could assemble the stacks and spacing strips later on.

Treasure Baby Quilt for baby Packitage
Chained Pieces

One lunch break Sarah and I went to Lincraft  in the city to get some fabric. As the gender of the bub was not to be revealed. we got a stack of  “warm” coloured charm squares and some navy fabric for the background and some mottled yellow fabric for the binding. A great combo for a “unisex” quilt I think.

Treasure Baby Quilt for baby Packitage
Pieced Strips

The colours are not typically “baby”, but I think that makes the quilt timeless. The quilt can be used the bubba and then they can use it as throw on the lounge later on.

Treasure Baby Quilt for baby Packitage
Here is the top all pieced together and ready to quilt.
(Being held up by the lovely Sarah)

Sarah and I pieced the coin stacks for the top together using light thread. So I wasn’t sure what colour to stitch the quilting in. I ended up going with a light colour.

Treasure Baby Quilt for baby Packitage
Close up of the quilting

I’m not sure if I could quilt a whole queen sized quilt using my sewing machine. This quilt was quite cumbersome to baste and quilt and it’s only a baby quilt. I’ve bought the Craftsy class Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine but haven’t watched it all yet. Maybe there’ll be some tricky tricks I can use in future.

'Treasure' Quilt - Front
The finished quilt front

I originally thought that I would just quilt vertically up and down the the “coin stacks”. So I echo quilted along the sides of the columns. I didn’t stitch in the ditch because it was just a little too tricky to wrangle the quilt and keep the stitches in the ditch. However, Sarah’s mum (who is a quilting guru) said we should quilt horizontally as well. So Sarah quilted around  couple of the “coins” in each stack.

'Treasure' Quilt - Back
The back of the finished quilt.

Sarah’s mum used her great handwriting skills to write a little note for us on the strip we used for the back of the quilt. We named the quilt “Treasure”.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get the quilt finished in time for the baby shower (although we certainly did try, we sewed right up to the start time of the baby shower, but alas by this stage we still didn’t have the quilt bound). However, we were able to give it to her at the first meeting of the the little baby boy.

That my friends is the tale of the first quilt that I’ve made…and the first quilt I’ve given to anyone.

Until next time, I hope you’re making lovely thing for the lovely people around you,
Vanessa xo